Is jewellery shopping your worst nightmare – or wildest dream?
Last week, a man walked into my studio looking very shy and uncomfortable. I approached him with a warm smile and asked how we could help – although I had a feeling I knew the answer.
He told me that he wanted to buy a gift for his wife, but felt terrified about the whole jewellery shopping experience. It had been eight years since he bought her engagement ring, and he hadn’t set foot in a jewellery store since.
His big concern was buying a piece she wouldn’t like. And unfortunately, the jewellers he’d visited earlier had helped. They’d either been very pushy or offered no help at all. Of course, I could be a little cheeky and tell you that my accurate hunch was all female intuition, but the truth is, a lot of customers – especially men – arrive at our door with similar concerns and petrified expressions on their faces!
So I told this poor, sweet gentleman that he had no reason to be worried. His wife would be flattered he cared so much about her feelings, and we could help him find her perfect piece. We then sat down and I asked him a little about his wife, her personality, lifestyle, the type of things she wears and, of course, how much he was hoping to spend. Then we looked at some pieces I felt she might like, and discussed the option of designing something unique.
And as we talked, I saw this incredible change in him. He started to relax, smile and even laugh. He picked a beautiful pendant and necklace and, as he left, he told me he never realised buying jewellery could be so much fun. What a lovely thing to hear.
5 wonderful reasons to buy jewellery
Of course, that’s how buying jewellery should always be. Not a frightening chore, but one of life’s pleasures to look forward to and delight in. After all, jewellery has a way of bringing exuberance to so many occasions in our lives:
- A special something for someone special. Taking the time to find a magical piece of jewellery, or working with a jeweller to design something unique, is a beautiful way of showing a friend, family member or partner how much they mean to you.
- A gift for so many reasons. Jewellery is a perfect gift for almost any occasion – a birthday, Christmas, expression of love, achievement (your own and others), a celebration of someone’s memory, friendship, thanks or to simply make someone feel wonderful.
- An exciting investment. Like a piece of art, exquisite, vintage and precious metal jewellery can be a worthy investment for more than its financial value alone. There’s the thrill and adventure in finding a rare or precious piece. And, of course, the everyday joy in appreciating its beauty and craftsmanship that a share portfolio just can’t quite match.
- A chance to create. Designing a piece to reflect a person, memory, achievement or occasion is a chance to have some fun and unleash your creative juices. And you won’t be the only one enjoying themselves – an accomplished jeweller will relish a good challenge, a piece that pushes their technical and artistic abilities to the limit.
- A delicious infatuation. And just as our customer discovered, the more you explore the world of jewellery and understand all the possibilities, the more comfortable you become and greater pleasure you get each time you buy it.
I was very young when I fell in love with jewellery. Shopping for gifts for my family and friends was so exciting that I’d dress up for the occasion. It was like going on a holiday or to a magical party.
And today, I get just as excited making our customers feel the same way.
Have your say ! Email you opinion pieces, ideas or corrections at email@example.com