HomeACTUAUSTRALIESPORT AUSTRALIEFootball: Roar end Sydney’s winning start to A-League season

Football: Roar end Sydney’s winning start to A-League season


Sydney FC lost their six-match winning run as Brisbane Roar fought back from a goal down to snatch a 1-1 draw in Australia’s A-League this weekend.

Graham Arnold’s Sky Blues still remain unbeaten but were denied all three points by a brilliantly taken strike from Dane Thomas Kristensen just before half-time.

Josh Brillante had put Sydney ahead with his first-ever A-League goal in the 13th minute.

Sydney FC lead the competition after seven games by six points from Melbourne City, who were held to a 1-1 draw by the Western Sydney Wanderers in Sydney on Friday.

A stoppage-time own-goal from City midfielder Neil Kilkenny locked up the scores after Socceroo star Tim Cahill celebrated his comeback to his home city by delivering a 55th-minute goal.

Cahill’s goal came just four minutes after Western Sydney striker Kerem Bulut was robbed of a goal when he was incorrectly ruled offside.

Perth Glory moved to fourth with a controversial 3-1 win over win-less defending champions Adelaide United in Perth.

Adelaide’s Spanish coach Guillermo Amor was banished to the stands after protesting a goal in his side’s loss.

Amor was left fuming after Irishman Andy Keogh’s first goal was allowed to stand in the 67th minute despite Adelaide goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic being badly impeded by a heavy clash with Rostyn Griffiths.

A ten-man Central Coast held off strong-finishing Newcastle to claim a share of the points in an entertaining 1-1 local derby on Sunday.

The Mariners looked headed for their first derby win in six games thanks to Jake McGing’s first-half diving header before the game turned in the space of two minutes in the second half.

First Jets Danish striker Morten Nordstrom finished off a one-on-one with Mariners goalkeeper Paul Izzo before Nordstrand, Aleksandr Kokko, and Johnny Koutroumbis all drew late saves from Izzo.

Fifth-placed Melbourne Victory’s match in New Zealand against Wellington Phoenix was postponed following the effects of earth tremors in the capital.

Share With: